Celebrating Men

Celebrating Men
Predator, Protector or Confused?

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Weighing In

     Recently I received an overall review of this site and of my book that indicated that I was addressing what a man is. I honestly hadn't thought I was addressing the makeup of a man. From my point of view, which notably is from a Christian perspective, I was recognizing the powerful and influential role of men in our lives; encouraging more awareness of this and encouraging more men to consider operating in their protective role more so than in their predatory role. There is reference in both the book and blog that some men are confused about their role. I suppose by making that reference I am making a type of judgment on what a true or biblically defined man is. Well then, I guess it is so.


The reviewer commented that he'd heard many definitions of men and since he was not a Christian, my definition did not really apply to him. However, commented later on his review that he did agree with my overall description and appeal to the integrity and honor of men was universal, transcending religion. If you don't mind, I would like for you to weigh in. If you have read the book or read some of my blog posts, do you find that my focus is on defining what a man is or primarily what he, man, should aspire to be? I think there is a marked difference.


I make no argument that my foundation for the aspiration of manhood, the ideal of the most productive and beneficial man to his family and society, is a biblical one. Just because I use the Bible as my guide, however, this does not mean that the basic values of integrity, honor, leadership and man's role in society and family are not largely universal. (I say largely, because I am aware of changing culture in some countries that are espousing homosexuality and same sex marriages. I am also aware that in a few ancient cultures, matriarchal rule was the core of their culture. There is only one culture I have found that still practices a quasi-matriarchal rule today: the Mosuo in the Xiaolianghshan Mountains of the Yunnin Province in China.)


Granted, there are all kinds of conversations ensuing today on manhood and leadership. Please note that any discussion I engage in concerning the matter will always seek to be uplifting but also real. My discussions will also inevitably reference the Bible, in particular, Christ, as the guide for manhood. It has been brought to my attention that the values of manhood I espouse in my book and on this site predate Christianity. I agree. I don't agree, however, that it predates the account of creation given in Genesis of the Bible, the Dead Sea Scrolls and the Tenakh (Hebrew and partly Aramaic "Bible") in which God said He created man in His own image. That is not to say that there are not other, possibly even older writings that espouse the same values of manhood or that some cultures practised these values of manhood before the Torah was enacted and later transcribed. I do believe, however, that the epitome of manhood is found in Christ who is as the Bible states, the fulfillment of the Law, the Torah, i.e.,, the embodiment of the Law, the completion of it. (See footnotes for references.) God, who created man in His own image, sent His Son, Jesus, to demonstrate manhood and the ideal mankind to mankind. So, why would I look to flawed humanity, with its partial understandings, its misunderstandings and flawed perceptions for the perfect example of a man when the creator of man became one to show us how one should live? (If you want to argue the validity of the cannon/Bible or Tenakh, that is another discussion.)


I have heard it said, that the US Department of the Treasury and many bankers, in order to decipher counterfeit bills from authentic bills, they spend their time studying the authentic bills. They get to know them so well that when they encounter a counterfeit bill, it's more easily detected. That is why I study the Son of God who became, the Son of Man, as my model for not only man, but mankind.


Please weigh in. Your responses are welcome.

***If you are interested in viewing the entire comment that inspired the current post, please go to www.Amazon.com, the books section, type in "Celebrating Men by B. Niles" and view comment #2. 

  
Bible Text References:
Man created in God's image: Gen.1:26-27, Gen. 2:7
Fulfillment of the law: Matt. 5:17-20, Romans 13:8-10, Galatians 2:1-3:29.

2 comments:

  1. Love what you're doing Bev! Being true to self, pusuing your desires, etc. You know that I don't subscribe to biblical perspectives, but living true and real I most certainly subscribe to. Keep on keepin' on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you T.A. for weighing in. I know you don't subscribe to the biblical perspective, but thank you for taking the time to share. I appreciate the feedback.

      Delete