Celebrating Men

Celebrating Men
Predator, Protector or Confused?

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Bass Voice or Bass Life?

I love a man with a deep bass voice. It just sounds so masculine to me. (We all have our idiosyncrasies and preferences. I have heard some men express that they wish their girlfriends were a little slimmer. Some of my friends in the past have repeatedly tried to get me to gain weight. I have also heard a female friend of mine express her initial concern that she was bigger than her beau. So we all have our little preferences and we are ALL fearfully and wonderfully made.) If you were to ask my sisters, what kind of man I like, they will invariably describe the man physically almost to a tee due to my previous relationships and expressed desires. They would consider a godly man to be a given.


However, I have a friend who has most of the qualities I look for in a man, but does not have much "bass" in his voice. It has troubled me a little. So I talked to the Lord about this recently and the Holy Spirit asked me, "Would you rather a man with a bass voice or a bass life?" Cool huh?! That was powerful. At first I said, both. But if I had to choose, I said I would prefer a man with a bass life. This friend of mine then, is an incredible bass.


Now what in the world am I talking about? A man with a deep bass or baritone voice signifies, without question, that he's a man (or so it used to be). If you heard such a voice on the phone you would typically associate the voice with a man and not a woman. Even if his name was "Melissa," because of the bass voice, you would automatically assume you were still speaking with a man. His life-style and manliness once you got to know him, however, might be questionable. But from first appearances, or first hearing of the voice, you might assume, he's a mans man.


I am artistic and melodic and love the sound of a bass voice. However, a man's voice is not indicative of the man himself. It is the man's life, his communication, his character, his values that determine the bass of his life and that is what the Holy Spirit was reminding me of. "Would you rather a man with a bass voice or a bass life?" My resounding answer: "A bass life."


The depth of the bass in a man's life bridges from his beliefs and values to his character. It is one thing to spout your beliefs. It's another thing to live them. Your character is most powerfully displayed when you are stripped bare or face trying times. How you respond in times of testing, whether mild or severe, displays your true character. The man that stands strong with integrity through times of severe trials, has the most beautiful bass life there is. The man that maintains his faith and convictions in spite of persecution and misunderstanding, has a beautiful bass. The man that remains faithful to God and his wife even if she has proved unfaithful, has a beautiful bass. The man who takes care of his family, has a beautiful bass. The man who doesn't cheat or lie to get ahead, has a beautiful bass. The man who has fallen short of any or all of the above and sincerely repents and seeks forgiveness and restitution, has a beautiful bass.


Without question, "...all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God" (Romans 3:23). I find his voice and life so beautiful, he that confesses his failures (humility), but fights daily to walk by faith and live righteously (godly). What a man! What a beautiful bass!

8 comments:

  1. Hi Beverly, much food for thought. As you said, I think we all have a our preferences but I thank God that He will pull our attentions to what matters most.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Wanda. Great hearing from you. Here's a question for you: Despite the beginning paragraph, do you think this was uplifting to men?

    ReplyDelete
  3. B...fine post and glad you asked for my input via a comment.
    I am going through a trying time right now. My wife has had a brain surgery a couple weeks ago and it was Glioblastoma cancer. You can google it for more info. I'm a strong believer and so is she but we have NEVER faced anything of this magnitude. It's bigger than the both of us but not bigger than Him. I find my self praying in that "bass" voice you wrote of several times a day for strength.
    This much I know...just like Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego..my God is able to deliver, and He will deliver, and even if He chooses not to...He is still my God.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Beverly -

    This piece rocks! It spoke to my heart, and certainly provoked me to think.

    For sure, there are points to ponder.

    I love that you recognize that excellent character is certainly more desirable than voice tone.

    You expresssed, "The depth of the bass in a man's life bridges from his beliefs and values to his character." Particularly, Beverly, that stirred my juices. Yes, indeed! I highly recommend that you create a means to have that mounted on walls.

    And the last paragraph is profound and soul stirring.

    Thank you, lady of GOD, for this rich and bass piece!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Stan,
    Thank you for taking the time to come, comment and share. Father, thank you for my brother Stan and his lovely wife. Nothing escapes you. In fact nothing touches our lives without your allowance. Father, You are our Healer, You are the Creator and You know what's going on the brain of Stan's wife. Reach in and right what's gone wrong and heal her in Jesus' name I pray. You said that if we believe when we pray that we shall have what we say. Your Word also says that by Jesus' stripes we were healed.

    Thank you, Father. I pray this prayer in Jesus' name and know that you hear me (us). Amen.

    I love you Stan. Be comforted. He's the same God that just brought Gabby Gifford through her ordeal, that healed my cousin of Hyperthyroidism, that is healing me also of the same and will bring your wife through.

    Thank you for sharing your bass life with us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sandra,
    You rock! You're always so vibrant. Thank you for the encouraging words.

    B.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Beverly -

    Isn't it wonderful that we live with the ROCK?
    On Christ the solid ROCK we stand. All other ground is sinking sand...

    That first paragraph got its flow groove on.
    You go, lady!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic words. It would be amazing if society viewed men this way.

    God bless you,
    Mark Wilson
    http://achristian.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete